New home for this forum/community

Not if you want them running in people’s browsers.

I started with C and C++, and their syntax is quite close to JS. Lots of snippets can be literally pasted from C++ to JS, maybe replacing “int” and “float” with “var”.

Here’s a couple Codepens I did in the past few days, that are intended to be fairly clean, relatively simple code that others can reuse (@Essenzia has already been building upon of of them and extending it quite successfully, but I don’t think he’s posted his latest) But there is also a certain “quick and dirty” nature to them. As time goes on though, we can have libraries of JS code hosted at the site that can be embedded, and can allow doing common stuff easily.

https://codepen.io/karmatics/pen/eYJxoMa
https://codepen.io/karmatics/pen/jOWQgBJ

These aren’t particularly graphical, but graphics is my wheelhouse, so future ones I work on most certainly will be.

We can certainly provide links to your C++ repos, but I would suggest not overestimating people’s willingness to download and compile your code, compared to just having something that they can be run on the web immediately, and can edit the code right there if they want.

If you do continue to build stuff in C++, and it is graphical, I would suggest doing screencast type videos and put them with youtube. NodeBB allows embedding YouTube videos as well. This is also something I have a lot of experience with.

1 Like

Gotcha. I would strongly suggest making a demo of what your code does, by running it, capturing the screen, explaining, etc. Post it on YouTube, then link to it here (or in the new forum).

You can certainly link to a repo, but I’d say that’s quite intimidating for almost everyone. I sure don’t want to download your code and run it, or even dig through it more than in a cursory way, without at least a nice little demo showing what it does. And again, I’ve got many years of C++ experience.

1 Like

I’ll try doing that once I get it in a working state. Where I left off on the code several months ago, I was in the middle of refactoring so I had a lot of errors and now I’m coming back to it trying to fix everything as well as trying to understand what I was trying to do several months ago that caused all those issues. In hindsight it would of been a really great idea to use source control but I was too lazy to set that up back then.

I was hopping that I would be able to post both sequential and optimal methods to this forum before it closes down but the more I look at my old code the more I think that the multi-winner vis diagrams are going to have to go up on the new forum. I just started re-examining it today and I’m not sure where to begin.

Cool. In the meantime can I ask what the input and output of the program is expected to be? Is it a library, a command line tool, a SAAS server, or a graphical tool with a UI and such?

One thing you may want to consider, is running it on a server that allows native code, and having it respond to cross domain requests via JSONP or CORS. In that case, small snippets written in Javascript and running in Codepens can talk to it. Obviously if your server does graphical stuff it won’t work, but it could certainly send out html or images or SVG graphics and the like if you wanted.

That said, Javsacript is still better for collaborative efforts because people who want to do something else can just tweak the code to their liking and immediately share it…

Well of course I suggest saving it for the new one, but I’m biased. :slight_smile:

Nope. None of that. It’s i/o is… swapping out a voting method function call (in this case, it’s the TempPAV function that takes in the percentages of voters and runs the proportional approval voting method on that combination of voters) with another one in main as well commenting and un-commenting two segments of code depending on if the method is single winner or multi-winner in visual studios:

I know, super high tech stuff /s. But I plan to give it a more proper input/output in the future. The in/out just hasn’t been my main concern with it recently. I think the last thing I’ll do will be making it read from an input file that specifies the voting method and the scores each of the three groups of voters give for the ternary plot vis diagram stuff. Also, right now the voting method class hierarchy that will allow more generic combinations of groups of voters / numbers of candidates was still a work in progress when I last left off and isn’t being used. (oh, and to change the size of the image generated you also have to manually change the code as well…)

I was hoping I could post it on both, but based off of the work I have cut out for me it will probably just be on the new forum.

1 Like

I forgot to specify the output.

It outputs a weird ppm file (ppm is some weird type of image file that’s easy to create) that I have to then take to this online service that converts ppm to pngs (with a VPN so I can take advantage of their free trial system). Perhaps in the future I can also figure out how to make my program output a png instead of a weird ppm.

@RobBrown So do you think the new forum will be up before this one locks up? Because it would be nice to be able to use this forum redirect as many users as possible from it one to the new one while it is still up. If not, have you asked @fsargent or other members of CES if they can extend the lock date just a few weeks (if you can get the new one up in a few weeks)? Do you think that they would be willing to do that?

1 Like

Maybe could get @fsargent to leave a note at https://forum.electionscience.org . Something like

“This forum is closed. CES no longer supports it. An independent forum for the community is here.”

I suspect there are a lot of people who will follow links or whatever to the forum in the future and we want the referral.

2 Likes

Hopefully the new one will be up pretty quick. Be sure to vote on the domain, at the very least, we’ll know where it will be and any note left on the old forum can point to the new one, even if the new one just has a placeholder page for a week or however long it takes to get things up and running.

And worst case scenario, the most recent thread posted to the old forum can be titled “here is where our new forum is located”.

3 Likes

I talked with Aaron of CES today, and emphasized the importance of keeping the existing forum URLs here functional over the long term, so I’m glad to see that Felix also was on-board with the plan to at least archive the current content of this forum in-place.
As the actual creator of the World Wide Web, Tim Berners-Lee famously wrote: Hypertext Style: Cool URIs don’t change.. And if they do have to change, they should at least be redirected in a useful way, to build on the momentum of all the people that published links to them. Remember - those are our people - out there on the web, linking to great content here about one of the most important things we deal with: how to make good collective decisions!

That is especially important for a site like this that isn’t crawled by the Internet Archive, since it is so Javascript-heavy.

It also sounds like they’ll be able to transfer us ownership of the google group https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/electionscience in a de-branded way. That would also be important so we can direct people who end up a the URLs there towards our new forum.

I look forward to the new site. Thanks to all those involved!

6 Likes

Have we decided on a domain name yet? The forum is going to close in a few hours if CES sticks to their stated deadline, so we should probably either announce it or announce a place where it will be announced when we decide. Maybe we could announce it on equal.vote since the new forum will be a coalition partner. @Sara_Wolf

4 Likes

Maybe we can agree to put up the final domain on electowiki. Make a page and add it here

3 Likes

OK, that sounds like a good idea. None of the other organizations have forum in the name so it should be clear which one it is.

That’s great.

What about the one over on Google? Can you convince Aaron and Felix to preserve that one as an archive as well, for the same reasons?

As I noted:

It also sounds like they’ll be able to transfer us ownership of the google group … in a de-branded way. That would also be important so we can direct people who end up a the URLs there towards our new forum.

But I haven’t heard the details from them yet.

Hi Forum Folks,

Yes, we’re happy to put out a blog post to promote the new forum for the websites (starvoting.us and equal.vote) and also put it out on our social media and email blasts.

The poll results are in, but they’re not a great match with each other. In any case it’s a good starting point for us to know more about people’s preferences and make a final decision at the next meeting.

Url Winner- electoralscience.vote (Still have not heard back from CES on their feelings on us using Electoral Science so that’s a yes?)

Name Winner- Electoral Reform Forum (Try saying that out loud three times fast!)

Full results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k3Fs382WnzxEOH5HUo0XTtl0xvOaWe64Gka2OatZpAc/edit?usp=sharing

Top Compatible Options:

Does anyone want to call and host a next meeting? Maybe Wednesday or Thursday evening at 7:30pdt? If you can’t make either of those please suggest other times.

Best,

Sara Wolk

2 Likes

When I was putting the vote data into R, I noticed that electoralscience.vote was listed twice, and that the scores were not identical. Only 6 voters scored the duplicates the same.

I demand a chaotic recount that accomplishes nothing but produces a lot of drama for my entertainment.

3 Likes

Why doesn’t each individual election systems enthusiast simply create his or her own bbPress forum. This would promote much more independent thinking. These could easily be tied together in many various ways. See:
https://bbpress.org/about/

Webhosts that are seriously independent, which I recommend are:

\www.siteground.com
www.nearlyfreespeech.net
www.westhost.com

I never have my domain names registered by the company that hosts my site, as trouble with hosting leads to trouble with registrations. I always strictly avoid the Big **Daddy company.

(It’s savvy to stay well clear of Google and similar giant censorial media corporations.)

URL results

URL 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Record Mean Sum
1. forum.equal.vote X D3-12 D4-11 D6-9 T7-7 D4-11 D6-9 D3-11 D6-9 D4-11 D3-11 0-9-1 1.588 27
2. electoralscience.vote V12-3 X V9-5 V9-2 V9-4 D5-8 V10-4 T6-6 V7-3 D5-8 D5-8 6-3-1 2.944 53
3. Electionscienceforum.org V11-4 D5-9 X V6-5 V8-4 D4-11 V7-6 D5-8 T5-5 D3-8 D5-8 4-5-1 2.471 42
4. forum.electoralscience.com V9-6 D2-9 D5-6 X T6-6 D5-11 V8-5 T6-6 D4-8 D4-10 D5-10 2-6-2 2.25 36
5. electoforum.com T7-7 D4-9 D4-8 T6-6 X D5-9 T6-6 D5-8 D5-8 D5-7 D3-11 0-7-3 2.2 33
6. votingtheory.com V11-4 V8-5 V11-4 V11-5 V9-5 X V10-2 V10-6 V10-5 V8-5 V7-5 10-0-0 3.235 55
7. electoraltheory.com V9-6 D4-10 D6-7 D5-8 T6-6 D2-10 X D7-8 D5-7 D5-8 D4-8 1-8-1 2.118 36
8. electoralscience.com V11-3 T6-6 V8-5 T6-6 V8-5 D6-10 V8-7 X V7-5 D2-6 D5-9 5-3-2 3 54
9. electoralscience.vote.1 V9-6 D3-7 T5-5 V8-4 V8-5 D5-10 V7-5 D5-7 X D2-8 D5-8 4-5-1 2.471 42
10. electoralscience.org V11-4 V8-5 V8-3 V10-4 V7-5 D5-8 V8-5 V6-2 V8-2 X D6-7 8-2-0 3.235 55
11. forum.vote V11-3 V8-5 V8-5 V10-5 V11-3 D5-7 V8-4 V9-5 V8-5 V7-6 X 9-1-0 3.059 52

(NAs not reflected in the table of pairwise matchups)

1 Like