Possible new campaign for Cardinal Methods

Hi All,

I came across this article

Basically they want to move from a delegate process to a member vote. There would be strong incentive for them to do something better than their opponents (the PC) to appear to be more progressive. The narrative of a leader with high approval would work well. The standard is currently IRV so lets try to get them to move to something modern and less flawed.

Asset might be a decent compromise here; allow the delegates to have as many votes as voters who picked them, and only the most popular delegates would have a strong say in who wins, rather than the party elite. It only works if they want to keep a strongly delegated process, though, so it might only be worth it if the party executive are strongly in favor.

Well no surprise that you would recommend asset. :grinning: There is however a large obstacle in this situation. It is sort of related to the Canadian concept of Proportionate Representation and the US concept of the electoral college. Since the number of members in the party is small relative to their voters, they do not want to bias towards partisans. In each district the number of people who could vote for them is large and equal between districts but the number of members who would vote for a leader is neither. To get around this they normally normalize the votes in each district to have the same weight. If this is done with asset then one just arrives back at regional delegates. It is worth noting that this proportionate reweighting is normally done with IRV. This results in crazy outcomes like the one with Scheer vs Bernier. A cardinal system works more naturally with a reweight.

In any case, I was more looking to have the CES officially reach out. I am sure that FairVote will. Is there anybody from CES who would want to reach out on behalf of the organization.

I’m not understanding how any voting system would avoid the regional delegation issue?

Edit: I’ve got it now. Other voting systems can just be used by people directly. It seems a bit unrelated to try to blunt partisanship by normalizing each district, but oh well. If they truly can’t get away from regional delegation of some kind, though, then perhaps there’s a way to get them to use the cardinal systems for those.

The district normalization is partly to blunt partisanship but also to make sure that there is general appeal across all districts. If many members of a party were in one area then they could control the vote. I am not sure the solution is a great one. This is a standard statistical problem where the sample size is small.

What are the alternative options, if they can’t get an election reform? For picking party leadership, I suppose the sample size will always be small, unless perhaps done alongside the party primaries?

They will very likely choose a reweighted IRV like the conservative party. Unless the CES shows them a better option. A district reweighted Approval would be a good candidate.