STAR voting was defeated

1. What went wrong?
  2. Wait. I thought there were two counties with STAR voting as a possibility (Lane and something starting with “M”)… what happened to the other one?
  3. When is our next shot at trying again?

(Edit: duplicate removed)

The more complications, the harder it is to sell to the voters. Plain score would probably have had more success.

Approval voting reverberates with the soul of american democracy. Goverment governs by the consent of the governed not the high marks of the governed not the best average score of the governed.

Approval voting is consent voting. Plus the lume warm support and multi phase is just tedious. Approval voting - the candidate who wins the hearts and minds of the people wins. It’s easy sexier.

What went wrong: This was a close election. There are probably several factors that each individually swayed enough votes to swing the election.

The Register-Guard endorsements suggested “no” on STAR. Their editorial can be summed up by the following infuriating quote: “Lane County voters shouldn’t latch onto a shiny new model, even a promising one, just because the current system needs reforming.” In other words, they had literally no arguments against STAR aside from the fact it was new.

Also, FairVote’s passive-aggressive anti-STAR hit piece was in the top page of google results. That was bad and in retrospect it would have been worth it to bump that.

Overall, I think that the STAR campaign did a very creditable job, they just didn’t quite make it across the finish line. I know for a fact that they’ll try again in Lane county. They may also make an attempt in Multnomah county (Portland).

Or… Voters just realized it’s not great si cedar voting is almost entirely divorced from our civic history.

No party approval is the future. We started this country without primaries we will return to it without primaries

One major challenge is the general public’s unfamiliarity with alternatives to plurality, especially ones that aren’t IRV. That probably hurt with the people who were mostly interested in the up-ballot races.

In my long experience, people are not very fond of elections with consecutive runoffs. Why not try for simple score voting, whereby voters can cast from (1) to (10) votes to each of as many candidates as they desire? I can almost guarantee it will be an easier sell.